NN, Inc.'s Life Sciences Group has an exciting opportunity for a Automation & Tooling Engineer to join our fast-growing team! This role will be based out of headquarters located in Charlotte, NC and report directly to the Integration & Transformation Special Projects Manager.
Researches, plans and designs mechanical and electro-mechanical equipment and Automation. Facilitates the application of machine and automation technologies to improve Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Cost. Coordinates activities involved in fabrication, installation, operation and repair. The Automation and Tooling Engineer must have prior experience in machine automation design, tooling design and machine design. They must be open to 70% travel both domestically and internationally.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Designs equipment that meet safety regulations. Procures tools and equipment.
- Writes appropriation requests.
- Prepare and maintain detailed drawings of equipment and documentation packages.
- Applies sound engineering judgment to problems, which may include conflicting design objectives.
- Plans, schedules, coordinates, arranges, and tracks all phases of projects to ensure on-time completion within budget.
- Assumes technical ownership of projects and facilitates installation, training, and de-bugging of new installations.
- Detailed problem solving and continuous improvements to facilitate fast changes while maintaining working relationships.
- Estimates schedules, project cost and budget. Coordinates outside suppliers and services as needed to accomplish projects.
- Represents mechanical engineering on cross-functional teams and to the customer.
- Performs any and all tasks as required to meet and exceed NN Inc. commitments. Supports on-going production to assure on-time delivery and company profitability.
- Ensures compliance with the organization standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, on-time delivery.
Ability to apply basic reasoning skills to carry out detailed instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to solve problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to detect and identify typical defects found in materials. Ability to read and use various inspection equipment applications and precision tools, and understand and apply basic quality inspection technologies and sound measurement practices.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Engineer has Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in mechanical engineering or equivalent and a minimum of 5 years experience in mechanical engineering. Engineering Technologist has an Associate Degree in engineering or equivalent and a minimum of 3 years relevant technical experience.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to maintain a safe work environment
- Detailed knowledge of principles and practices of mechanical engineering and design
- Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing techniques
- Must be able to work in a Team environment to take ideas and provide solutions and effective design solutions
- Ability to creatively conceptualize, plan, design and implement all equipment and processes required to efficiently manufacture precision components and assemblies in a Medical environment
- Must have a full understanding of the application of GD&T
- Must have broad experience with automation, a range of measuring technologies, and assembly equipment design
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with vendors, customers, and associates
- Effective project management skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations
- Knowledge of OSHA, Ohio Revised Code, ANSI and related safety regulations
- Self motivated
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Office, AutoCad, and SOLIDWORKS
NN, Inc., a diversified industrial company, combines advanced engineering and production capabilities with in-depth materials science expertise to design and manufacture high-precision components and assemblies for a variety of markets globally. NN has 36 facilities in North America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, South America and China.
NN, Inc. provides a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Employer-paid short-term disability and life insurance
- Voluntary vision insurance and other ancillary plans
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Tuition reimbursement